Sunday, November 27, 2011

Holiday Humbugs

Yeah I said it.  Politically incorrect as it may be - I HATE the holidays. 
I hate that next to the Halloween decorations at Target - Christmas lights were flashing.  I hate that a weekend before Thanksgiving - Santa was at the Mall. I hate that last year - the fat guy who was getting paid a hell of a lot more than I was told my son that if he was a very good boy - he would find the $60 Buzz Lightyear wings under the Christmas tree.  Hey guess what - Mommy was unemployed & even if I could have afforded them - every store was sold out.  Way to kill a 4 years old Christmas wish asshole!

I don't even think we did much to celebrate my son's first 2 Christmases.  I couldn't buy my ex anything because he was the king of "Look what you  bought me - it's perfect - how did you know?" G (as my son will be known from here on out) was too young to really know whether he had anything or not. Now I hate the I can't afford to address what my son wants for Christmas.  While I am working this year, as he gets older - his list gets more expensive.  He doesn't ask for a lot - he just goes quality over quantity.  A Nintendo DS, a trip for 3 to Disneyland or LegoLand, a WII, a LeapPad & a lot of Legos.  I wish baby - I really do.
 
My Ex & I tried in vain to dodge the Santa bullet. In the past we have not pushed the Santa issue.  Our children get in trouble for lying, yet we tell them a man comes down the chimney bringing presents.  We tell them to be good or they get put on a naughty list.  We wanted our child to be good because it was the right thing to do & to appreciate what was given because it was a gift from the heart - not from a man who gets credit for what we could barely afford.  Sadly - G is ALL about Santa this year & we have decided to just roll with it.  He asked me what Santa was bringing him & I asked him if he could have one special thing from Santa what would it be.  He said he wanted Jessie & Bulleye from Toy Story to go with his Buzz ^& Woody.  Score one for the Santa - that one is doable.

I hate decorating the Christmas tree.  My stepdad made it such a mechanical military process that  it sucked the joy out of it.  This had to go there, That couldn't go there.  What are you thinking - those go inside.  My 1st year in California, I had to put up our stupid tree myself because my ex went to Portland to visit his sister & I wasn't invited.  The following year we didn't bother because we both had what is now known as the Flu of 99.  My son however LOVES the Christmas tree, so I feign joy even though I would rather be stabbed in the eye with a fork than decorate it.  I did good this year - I barely did any rearranging behind him.  When it was done & lit that night - he pronounced it AWESOME & BEEYOUTEEFUL.  He also told me I was the best mommy ever for hanging his window lights. 

OK - so not EVERYTHING about the Holidays suck.  As long as my kiddo is happy - what could I possibly be so grinchy about?

No comments:

Post a Comment