Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Glory Days

When Bruce Springsteen sang "Glory Days" I didn't get it.  I didn't understand the reasons for waxing poetic about the past.  I guess when you are younger it wouldn't make sense.  Flash forward many years & I get it.  I really do.

Whether it is thinking about what could have been with Fred. wondering what would have happened if I hadn't landed in bed with a guy I had dreamed of going out with for years 5 minutes after my high school crush asked me if we could date or remembering all my cute dresses that I probably couldn't get my left leg through now much less my whole body - yes I too wax poetic.

While at the time it all seemed so complicated - my 20's were such a breeze.  I was on my career track, I had the best clothes, a cute body & never ever went home alone unless I chose to.  Those were the days when my schedule consisted of go to my job in retail, buy a new outfit (never mind that I had enough clothes that I could go 6 weeks without repeating anything), get ready for the club, frustrate my friend Lisa with the outfit du jour (yes I can STILL hear her saying "you really aren't wearing that are you?  Yes I can see your bra matches your skirt - that's my point....NO I don't want to see that your panties match too"), go to the club, come home too drunk to sleep, call the radio station & talk to the overnight DJ until I was sober enough to fall asleep, get about 5 hours sleep, rinse & repeat.  We did this every Weds, Thursday & Saturday night. This was the only time in my life I was ever in the "IT" crowd.  For once I had the right friends, the right clothes & even lived in the right place.  I even had enemies which just proved I had made it. All I really had to think about is what I was going to wear the next day & rock it.

The funny thing is being the IT girl really wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  After awhile, I began to see just how superficial it all was.  You remember when the focus used to be more about dancing & less about drinking & you don't remember when the tables shifted to it being more about drinking & socializing & less about dancing (mostly because you were too drunk to dance & quite frankly you were above dancing with the frat boy masses).  You found yourself a sobbing mess in the ladies bathroom crying over some guy who wasn't worth your tears and you did this regularly.  You realize that your "club friends" really weren't your friends and would trade you up for the next IT girl that came along.

So as I look back on my "Glory Days" I realize - wow - they really weren't as spectacular as I want to remember them being.  Although I really should apologize to for showing off my friends Easter Egg panties to the whole club.  Yeah - good old glory days - Sobbing mess or not - I wouldn't trade the memories for anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment