Tuesday, December 4, 2012

This Kiss

 It's the thing that fairy tales are made of.  Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel and  the list goes on and on because their fates were unsealed with a kiss. (Well Ariel's was sealed by the fact she didn't get one and vanished into sea foam - but Disney chose to rewrite the ending.) Every Chick Flick ends with one. There are songs galore sung about it: Kiss- Prince, Kiss On My List -  Hall & Oates, Kiss Me- Sixpence None the Richer, This Kiss - Faith Hill.  You can't escape the kiss.

The first kiss is so daunting.  It dictates what,  if anything that comes next. Whether you are going to make it to date two, or whether you aren't going to make it home until the following morning.  If you are too aggressive; you may scare off the one you hope to attract.  If you are too leisurely; you risk losing the interest of said person. The best are somewhere in between and one that leaves the person longing for more as you part ways.  It is the kiss that I look forward to the most.  I dream about kissing the most inappropriate of people.  I long for the man who has excited my mind (and possibly body) with the skillful art of lips and tongue as his scent lingers on my clothes long after he is gone.

I was sweet sixteen and never been kissed.  I made up for lost time since.  I have twothat have left an indelible imprint in my brain that I fall back to when I am feeling nostalgic.

When I first met K, he was dating someone else and that someone else was not a fan of me.  One evening I found myself at a mutual acquaintance's apartment when lo and behold he came in because he was staying there.  He and his girlfriend had broken up and we spent the entire evening just talking and hanging out.  He walked me home because we weren't quite ready to end our evening.  Another hour of hanging out on my couch with my room-mates and out of nowhere, he leaned in just laid one on me.  Never in my life had the entire room spun while we remained stationary engrossed in only each other.  When I got my land legs back when the kiss had ended - my room-mate dragged me into the bedroom to find out what they hell I was doing because everybody knew K&D were THE couple.  Nobody seemed to know they broke up.  It didn't matter - I was his from that moment on,

Flash forward two years later and after a final break up and multiple failed attempts to get him back - I ran into him downtown in Fountain Square.  I had a large bag in my hand because I had bought a comforter for my bed and was heading for my bus. It was 5:00 and the city was bustling.  We exchanged a few pleasantries, but  I couldn't tell you what led him to kiss me; but he did. This time the world stopped spinning and stood still.  All sounds were drowned into silence.  At that moment - all there was was me and him locked in a passion that I would never experience again. I never did get him back either.

B was different.  I met him at a club and I think I scared him because I commented on how I loved his t-shirt and I knew that it was Dream from the Sandman series. He had a deer in the headlights look about him (probably from the manner in which I accosted him) and that made him that much more endearing to me.  At the end of the night as the club was clearing out, I ran into him in the parking lot. After a few awkward exchanges - he finally asked me to go grab a bite to eat.  I had to drop my friend off at home and he followed me way out of his regularly traveled route.  We found a Denny's near by, ate, exchanged numbers and went on our way.  He followed me back into a more familiar part of town and I saw him pull into a gas station.  Apparently he still didn't know quite where he was and was stopping to get directions.  I pulled in to tell him where to go and leaned in to kiss me through my driver's side window.  He later said it was like a tractor beam pulled him into me (he was a HUGE Star Wars fan). Most would consider making out at a gas station at 3 am terribly gauche, but it was amazing.  I think it was just more the whole culmination of the night as a whole, but it certainly ranks as a favorite.

It is all about the kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment