Monday, October 21, 2013

Out Nerded

Why, why oh why do I continue to do this to myself?  I don't get it.  Oh wait, because I have a blog that depends on it and I know you love to live vicariously through my drama.

So I had yet another why do I do this to myself first and last date again Friday.  We chased each other across the internet for a few months when finally he asked why we had not met for coffee yet.  I told him simply "You never asked".   Even then, it took at least a month before that took place.  First he missed a bill and messed up his checking account, then he had to lend his mom money, etc.  Small red flags yes, but he seemed really interesting and if nothing else he could always be friend zoned. We finally agreed to meet for tea on Friday.  This seemed like a nice twist to the typical coffee interrogation. 

Of course by the time Friday had rolled around - I really had no interest in doing this anymore.  I had an excruciating day at work and even though it was casual Friday - I could have looked cuter. There was no point in going home to freshen up beforehand though because of where we were meeting  My hair was a wavy and unruly mess. I was sweaty from moving files all day, but I always have body spray in my purse.  I just wasn't as primed or put together as I normally would be.  Case in point - the date the week before took me 3 leisurely hours to get ready for because I wanted everything to be perfect.  This time I didn't care.

I battled Southern California rush hour traffic to get to the tea shop and remembered just how much I despised that commute.  Apparently this place was right down the street from an old job of mine.  I get there and he is waiting.  The first thing I notice is he is short.  I mean really short.  I'm 5'2" and had on 4" wedge sandals.  So that made me a whopping 5'6".  I was taller than him in my shoes.  All my heels are 3-4" so I would always be taller than him or would always have to wear flats.  Even his arms seemed short. Not like little people short;  just abnormally short.  I have nothing against short guys, but given how short I am - I do prefer the guy to be taller than me. There is something to be said about kissing a guy on your tip toes.  Maybe that's just a me thing though.  

We got our tea and he never stopped talking.  I found his racing stuff interesting and loved his car - I do have a thing for Mustangs, but seriously.  I don't think I got 10 words in all night.  Then he started talking video games.  That was the thread in commonality, but he out nerded me.  This is hard to do.  He name dropped every single person who ever held any executive position at any game company within a 3 state radius. I smiled and nodded because there was no interrupting him,  Everytime I tried to start a thought - he would interject his own story.

The kicker was when someone walked into the tea store with a dog.  He went banaynay. "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, oh my gosh. that is the cutest puppy EVER".  Seriously?  He then proceeded to go on and on about how it looked like a cotton ball with legs, how cute it was and a few more awwws.  By then I was grasping for a way out.  Any way out.  He suggested we walk around.  It was a strip plaza, so to walk the whole thing took about 5 minutes.  He told me about his gall stones and how he could only eat a totally fat free diet.. He told me he doesn't drink - ever.  Not because he has a problem with it, he just doesn't.  For someone who gave the impression of being so interesting - this guy was dullsville.  He suggested we go buy a cotton ball puppy ourselves as a way to extend the night and THAT was the final straw.  I excused myself saying I had a test to study for & thanked him for the tea.  I high tailed it out of there as fast as my four cylinder gutless wonder Civic would take me.

I have so little free time and few things are more frustrating than knowing that hour you wasted you will never get back.  So, I think at this point - I am back on a self imposed hiatus - well until it is time for me to scrounge up a date for my Christmas party, or until something else wicked this way comes. Between not really hearing back from the guy from the weekend before that I WANTED to go with again and this guy who was the polar opposite - I don't think the stars are aligned for romance at the moment and I'm OK with that.    For once - I am truly OK!

On the plus side though - I did learn I like vanilla chai.  I guess it was a total loss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment