Sunday, October 13, 2013

Climbing Up the Scratching Post

Take your age.  43.  Divide it by half.  21.5.  Add 7.  28.5.  I dodged the bullet by .5.  So for now my cougar claws get to stay retracted.   HOWEVER - it doesn't change the fact that I went out with a 29 year old last night.  Heeeeeeeeeey.

It started simple enough.  A message that for all intents and purposes I would normally ignore because I have a hard and fast rule that a guy should be at least 35.  I have too many damn rules!  It wasn't an obnoxious message so I responded back.  After the obligatory how are you chat, he asked if  I had exciting plans for the weekend.  I said I didn't and what he would recommend?  He told me I could check out Newport Beach for the sights and sounds, Laguna Beach for good live music or possible hang out with him?  All right, he we go... "hang out".  The usual response. I asked what his definition of hanging out was, fully expecting "why don't I come over and watch a movie".  He said "meet for coffee or tea."  I said "sure sounds like a plan",  fully expecting to bail out of it.  Funny thing is, he didn't message or text me a lot.  Enough to show interest, not enough that I knew his whole life story.  I had no reason to chicken or bail.

This was a new twist.

Friday night he confirmed we were still on.  Saturday he suggested we meet at a popular outdoor mall that is known more for it's entertainment value than shopping; although there is plenty of that too.  Again; this is new territory for me.  Rare that a guy -  much less a young one, actually sets a  plan and puts it in motion.

I should have been nervous.  I wasn't.  Maybe because I knew he was young and if nothing else - it would make for good blog fodder.  I looked great (At least I think I did).  I went with cute yet casual.  It wasn't until I was ready to leave that the "WTF am I about to do?" set in.   I was 14 when he was born.  I was legally drinking and he was slurping Capri Suns.  With 30 minutes until the date though, there was no turning back and no nerve calming shot because I was driving.  So off I went.  I was late, but I hit stupid traffic and parking was a nightmare.  I finally found where we were meeting AFTER walking around the whole shopping center.  I found him and so the date began.  He was cute.  That is always a good start. There have been times where I wanted to run before hello was ever uttered simply by the way he looked.  Yes, I can be shallow.  No, you didn't need to remind me.

We went to one restaurant but it was crowded, so we went to another one.    We took an outside table and it was awesome.  That's all I can say.  Despite the age disparity, we had SO much in common.  The conversation never died.  He was engaging, finny and charming.  I think I was engaging.  I didn't let the conversation lag on my end.  He seemed to respond well to me and he had me laughing the whole time.  Three hours later we had to relinquish the table.  I have never had a 1st date that lasted that long.

Ever the gentleman.  He paid for the evening.  Working on my feminine wiles, I let him.  He walked me to my car.  He hugged me goodbye and thus the evening end.  I gave the obligatory text telling him that I was a simply awesome time and thanked him for it.  He texted back it was indeed glorious.  I of course immediately took it as sarcasm because I can't actually allow myself to think someone enjoyed my company.  I didn't react though.  I simply let him know that I looked forward to outing number two if he was so inclined.  He said that would be nice and cracked a joke from the date.

So, since I am working on  said feminine wiles, I will leave the ball in his court.  I let my further interest known.  I guess we will see where it goes. All I know is that I maintained eye contact, didn't have my wall up to the moon and even if I never hear from him again - I still managed to have a successful evening out!

MEOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment